Today’s post is about a new piece of terrain I’ve been printing for use in fantasy game system, initially Skyrim by Modipius Entertainment.
This is a model I purchased from Myminifactory.com from Dark Realms. I have no relationship with this manufacturer. The main criticism I have is the lack of information about the model. There where no internal shots, no breakdown of the the parts sold, and no information on supports. I shot the designer a query and he responded really quickly. I also found images on Instagram and the Dark Realms Pateron. This information gave me the confidence to buy the model.
The model comes in three configurations.
- A solid model
- A split model (by floor) with internal detail and a choice of a full roof or an open attic roof (with an open top).
- A split model (by floor) without internal details
I choose to printed the second configuration with a solid roof.
I used the standard settings of my Prusa I3 MK3S without supports. As you can see the model turned out great.
- The model is well proportioned and would work well in any generic fantasy setting. It could even work in a historical setting if you are not too discerning about complete historical accuracy.
- The file prints very well and looks nice. The overall proportions of the building are on the larger side and I think I could have printed at about 80% and it would still look right. The model in the first shot is a Storm Cast Eternal (from my 11 year olds collection). The second is a Skyrim Model which is a 32mm but not heroically scaled so are a bit more realistically proportioned.
- Stringing was minimal and will be easy cleaned and fixed.
- Details are sharp and will paint well.
- The model is split at clear points so the detail is not affected and there are no obvious join lines.
- The locator pins are large and robust so are unlikely to break through normal use.
- The door has a hinge, so can open and close.
- As initially stated at the start of the review, the lack of information about the model is the main negative point.
- Cost, its a fairly expensive model, my opinion is the overall quality balances this out however. Mirroring the files will alleviate the finical impact if your are wanting a large city of different houses.
This is a good buy and I would recommend it.